1. Find a quote from the main person in this news article?
WHO (World Health Organization) says ‘There is no vaccine or treatment for zika, which is like dengue and causes mild fever, rash and red eyes. An estimated 80 percent of people infected have no symptoms so then
Zika is ‘strongly suspected’ to cause babies to be born with abnormally small heads and brains. So it is very serious for pregnant women if they are infected with the Zika virus.’
2. In your own words describe what happened in this news article.
The Zika Virus has infected thousands of babies over Brazil. WHO (World Health Organization) states that there is no known treatment or cure for the virus. There is an estimate that 80% of people infected have no symptoms. Pregnant woman are now being urged to rethink their Pacific and South America travel plans. Many travel agencies are now offering refunds.
3. Find out where this event took place and include some information about this place.
The article states the Zika Virus has been found in Brazil, in the Pacific Islands and in South America.
4. Tell us when this event happened and explain what might happen in the future.
The virus was first found in Brazil last year December. Scientists and doctors will investigate the cause and hopefully find a cure.
5. Explain in your own words why this event took place.
There is no known information about the Zika Virus.
6. Use the Dictionary in the bottom right-hand corner to find the meaning of 3 words from the article.
defects - A shortcoming, imperfection, or lack.
explosively - Relating to or having the nature of an explosion.
abnormally - Not normal.